Saturday, April 14, 2012

Walking for weight loss

I have had great results with walking for weight loss.  Walking at least 3 miles a day, 7 days a week burns around 1,500 (an average of 74 calories/mile) calories all together, which is awesome! While I was going through my divorce I had to walk 3 miles round trip to the closest bus stop, that didn't include the walking I did at work, or the times when the bus wasn't running when I got off work, or the times when I had to take the bus into town so early that I just ended up walking around for hours before work.  I would guess that I walked off about 4,600 calories/week (or 9 miles/day).  I would walk up and down the hill I lived on sometimes 4 or more times a day, sometimes I would walk the 14 miles round trip to and from work when the bus wasn't running on Sundays.

The calculator for figuring out how many calories you are burning while walking is:

.52 multiplied by your body weight in pounds = total calorie burn
.30 multiplied by your body weight in pounds = net calorie burn

I grabbed this information from this article.  It explains that net calorie burn is the total calories burned minus how many calories you would have burned by doing nothing.  Interesting read... and of course it concludes that running burns more calories (who'd have thunk it?).

So is it any wonder that I lost 22 pounds in 6 weeks of this?

I stopped walking as much last year after Frank was born.  She is a very even tempered baby, but Squishy is a little bit on the high drama side and protested walks for weeks.  We are walking again and I am trying my best to get at least 2 miles a day in.  Next week I am going to make it a goal to get 3 miles in every day, starting this Sunday.  We have the Avocado Festival happening and I only live 1/2 mile from the main street.  So walking around then won't be any kind of hardship.

What are your favorite shoes for walking?

No comments:

Post a Comment